The newest info on Sports Performance
Chances are if you are involved in Gold Crown Foundation, your child loves playing sports. But when do youth sports cross the line of becoming too much? How do athletes train effectively? What’s the difference between pushing them to compete at the next level vs. pushing them to burn out at a young age? The health of your child should always be a priority, even when it comes to performing. Get your “Sports Performance” guide below.
SIGNS OF CONCUSSION
- A headache that gets worse or is severe
- Confusion, extreme sleepiness or trouble waking up
- Vomiting repeatedly
- Trouble walking or talking
- Any numbness, weakness or tingling in arms or legs
- A seizure or convulsion (arms or legs stiffen or shake uncontrollably)
- Any sudden change in thinking or behavior
HOW TO AVOID BURNOUT
- Periodization: a process of varying the training stimulus to promote long term fitness gains
- Cross-training by varying workouts
- Focus on proper sport technique
- Slow progression and avoid rapid increase in workload or intensity
- Proper injury treatment and rehabilitation
- Emphasis on sports as tools for fun(!), sportsmanship, fitness, skill acquisition, safety, or education
SPORTS PERFORMANCE GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
No matter the sport, proper strength and conditioning is crucial to improve performance and prevent injuries. But how young is too young to start training? Luckily, our partners at Children's...
Sports like gymnastics, soccer, basketball and track require high energy input, meaning girls in those sports must eat enough of the right foods to remain healthy and at the top...
Did you know that sleep (or lack of) can impact injury risk and recovery time in a young athlete? Did you also know that only 20% of teens get the...
You've probably heard the term "growing pains" before. No, not the TV show from the 80s & 90s. The aches and pains children can experience that are commonly attributed to...
There are five seconds left on the clock. Your team is down by one, and you are at the free throw line with two shots. Are you wrapped up in...
As an athlete, you have goals that you are trying to achieve. But did you know that what you put into your body can help you achieve those goals sooner?...
As an athlete, you are constantly hearing how you need to consume enough of the right calories in order to obtain peak performance. But what about vitamins and minerals, such...
Television advertisements will tell you that you need Gatorade and Powerade to recover after a workout. If you want to replenish the electrolytes in your body you need one of...
Studies show that a proper warmup is key in preventing injury and enhancing performance in young athletes. Competitive sports use different muscles and movement than your every day activity, and...
- Have questions about a possible concussion?
- Call Children's Hospital Colorado at 720-777-2806
- Have a consultation first, then make an appointment if needed
SPORTS MEDICINE CENTER
- 35 Certified Athletic Trainers on staff
- Obtained at least a Bachelor's degree and passed the Board of Certification exam
- Work in physician clinics, high schools, sports clubs AND the Gold Crown Field House
Did you know that, when available, there is a Certified Athletic Trainer at Gold Crown Foundation events? The training room is located next to Court 5, just look for the green posts! Please contact JoJo with any questions, 303-233-6776, ext. 239, or stop by and say hi next time you're at the Gold Crown Field House. Learn more about your CHCO Athletic Trainers.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE