The newest info on Healthy Habits
Life is chaotic, how can you help form the best habits in today’s youth? From nutrition and hydration to the amount of sleep and stress, life is about balance. Plus, technology has changed the game. How much screen time it too much screen time and how do screen time habits influence lifestyle and development? Forming healthy habits can start at a young age, and as adults, you can lead by example. Get the answers and explore additional resources for all “Healthy Habits.”
LIFETIME BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE CHILDREN
- 1/10 as likely to be obese
- Up to 40% higher test scores
- Less smoking & drug use
- 15% more likely to go to college
- Lower levels of depression & self-derogation
- Higher self-esteem
- 7-8% higher annual earnings
- Lower health costs
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer & diabetes
Source: The Aspen Institute Project Play
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, cereal and dried fruit
- Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter
- Low-fat fruited yogurt or plain/vanilla low-fat yogurt with fruit
- Blended smoothie with frozen berries, low-fat milk and yogurt
- Air-popped or fresh-popped popcorn
- Pretzels, vegetables or whole wheat pita wedges and hummus
- Tbsp of peanut butter on an ½ English muffin with sliced banana
- Mini cinnamon raisin bagel spread with nut butter
HEALTHY HABITS GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
During stressful times, it’s common to eat salty, sweet or high-fat foods. Unfortunately, these comfort foods can often make stress and anxiety worse. By practicing mindful eating, you can calm...
Social skills. Social intelligence. Emotional intelligence. As a parent you can get lost in buzz words that relate to your kids' relationships with others. Whatever you call it, parents just...
Jenna Glover, PhD, talks about a CU School of Medicine study on teenagers and technology. It's been almost two years since our kids were pulled from the classroom abruptly and...
The CU Anschutz Culinary Medicine team has a recipe for Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage and Kale that is perfect for chilly evenings at home. Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage...
Don't let the holiday season weigh you down this year. We've got tips for staying active, even though we all want to cozy up on the couch with a holiday...
Back to school also means back to packing lunches and snacks. It's important to keep your child full and fueled so they have enough energy to tackle the school day....
We know sleep is important. We also know that the last year has impacted our sleep habits, maybe for the better or maybe for worse. Between limiting stressors and maintaining...
Did you know that sleep (or lack of) can impact injury risk and recovery time in a young athlete? Did you also know that only 20% of teens get the...
It shouldn’t feel like the off-season right now at Gold Crown, but 2020 has been…a lot. While our staff is prepped and ready to open our doors the moment we’re...
- Call 720-777-0123 to receive free health care advice from Children's Hospital Colorado registered nurses
- Live person will answer 24/7
- Information available for over 200 pediatric topics and community resources
- Find a physician in your area
- Poor / excessive weight gain
- Food allergies or intolerances
- Swallowing/feeding and digestive disorders
- Sports medicine nutrition
- Autism, cystic fibrosis and more...
Looking for help on these topics? Learn more
Find A Doctor
Tap into the World class pediatric experts in a variety of specialty areas at Children’s Hospital Colorado for anything from the top of their heads, to the tips of their toes. To find the right doctor for you, please visit their website to find the top ranked team of experts.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE