The newest info on Healthy Habits
Life is chaotic, how can you help form the best habits in today’s youth? From nutrition and hydration to the amount of sleep and stress, life is about balance. Plus, technology has changed the game. How much screen time it too much screen time and how do screen time habits influence lifestyle and development? Forming healthy habits can start at a young age, and as adults, you can lead by example. Get the answers and explore additional resources for all “Healthy Habits.”
LIFETIME BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE CHILDREN
- 1/10 as likely to be obese
- Up to 40% higher test scores
- Less smoking & drug use
- 15% more likely to go to college
- Lower levels of depression & self-derogation
- Higher self-esteem
- 7-8% higher annual earnings
- Lower health costs
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer & diabetes
Source: The Aspen Institute Project Play
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, cereal and dried fruit
- Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter
- Low-fat fruited yogurt or plain/vanilla low-fat yogurt with fruit
- Blended smoothie with frozen berries, low-fat milk and yogurt
- Air-popped or fresh-popped popcorn
- Pretzels, vegetables or whole wheat pita wedges and hummus
- Tbsp of peanut butter on an ½ English muffin with sliced banana
- Mini cinnamon raisin bagel spread with nut butter
HEALTHY HABITS GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Can you name some of the most popular brands of energy drinks off the top of your head? Red Bull, Monster, Rockstar, Nos, Starbucks, etc. Even Coca-Cola has joined the...
We all have been there...your child falls and hits their head at home, now what? Head injuries can be scary for both kids and caregivers, yet they also seem somewhat...
Playing sports has many positive effects. That's common knowledge. Below, TED-Ed takes a look at the different health benefits of playing sports, including mental health. The victory of the underdog....
One of the best parts of living in Colorado is taking advantage of all the state has to offer in the great outdoors. After all, the Rocky Mountains are in...
When you lead by example, you are encouraging others to follow in your footsteps and inspiring them that they CAN do it. The same is true in parenting. Showing your...
Does your teen have a cell phone? Chances are, if they do they are familiar with TikTok, an app that is often in the headlines and not always for good...
Thinking and acting on what is in the best interest of kids is one of Gold Crown Foundation’s core principles. Sometimes that means going beyond their physical and mental health...
Whether it’s at the hospital or in school, parents must sometimes speak up for their children. Advocating for your child ensures that their needs are met and protects their physical,...
Did you know that sleep (or lack of) can impact injury risk and recovery time in a young athlete? Did you also know that only 20% of teens get the...
- Call 720-777-0123 to receive free health care advice from Children's Hospital Colorado registered nurses
- Live person will answer 24/7
- Information available for over 200 pediatric topics and community resources
- Find a physician in your area
- Poor / excessive weight gain
- Food allergies or intolerances
- Swallowing/feeding and digestive disorders
- Sports medicine nutrition
- Autism, cystic fibrosis and more...
Looking for help on these topics? Learn more
Find A Doctor
Tap into the World class pediatric experts in a variety of specialty areas at Children’s Hospital Colorado for anything from the top of their heads, to the tips of their toes. To find the right doctor for you, please visit their website to find the top ranked team of experts.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE