The newest info on Healthy Habits
Life is chaotic, how can you help form the best habits in today’s youth? From nutrition and hydration to the amount of sleep and stress, life is about balance. Plus, technology has changed the game. How much screen time it too much screen time and how do screen time habits influence lifestyle and development? Forming healthy habits can start at a young age, and as adults, you can lead by example. Get the answers and explore additional resources for all “Healthy Habits.”
LIFETIME BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE CHILDREN
- 1/10 as likely to be obese
- Up to 40% higher test scores
- Less smoking & drug use
- 15% more likely to go to college
- Lower levels of depression & self-derogation
- Higher self-esteem
- 7-8% higher annual earnings
- Lower health costs
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer & diabetes
Source: The Aspen Institute Project Play
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, cereal and dried fruit
- Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter
- Low-fat fruited yogurt or plain/vanilla low-fat yogurt with fruit
- Blended smoothie with frozen berries, low-fat milk and yogurt
- Air-popped or fresh-popped popcorn
- Pretzels, vegetables or whole wheat pita wedges and hummus
- Tbsp of peanut butter on an ½ English muffin with sliced banana
- Mini cinnamon raisin bagel spread with nut butter
HEALTHY HABITS GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Young athletes need to stay hydrated throughout the day, not just during physical activity, but that can prove to be a challenge. Our partners at Children's Hospital Colorado have some...
Young athletes need proper nutrition in order to perform, grow and develop. But what exactly does a nutritious meal entail? Learn from Amanda Turner, Sports Dietitian at Children’s Hospital Colorado...
Enjoying the holidays doesn't have to mean gaining weight, breaking everyday habits, and dealing with your Aunt Nancy. If you're looking for positive ways to stay healthy this holiday season...
Supplements promise to make young athletes faster, leaner, stronger and healthier. But what do we really know about that promise when it comes to the safety and efficacy of supplements?...
October is National Bullying Prevention Month and unfortunately is still a prevalent issue with today's youth. Similar to other issues, research shows that you can stop bullying over time when...
Remember the ads several years ago that had famous athletes drinking milk and were left with the famous milk mustache? At the time, it might have seemed silly that an...
Traveling with your child’s sports team for summer tournaments is exciting, but it can also be disruptive to your family’s normal eating habits and routines, which in turn can affect...
The summer heat is hard to beat! It is essential to stay hydrated on a daily basis, but especially in the summer and even more so when your spending extended...
When it comes to competition days, what your young athlete eats can matter just as much as the other preparations they take to be successful. High-fat content meals, like the...
- Call 720-777-0123 to receive free health care advice from Children's Hospital Colorado registered nurses
- Live person will answer 24/7
- Information available for over 200 pediatric topics and community resources
- Find a physician in your area
- Poor / excessive weight gain
- Food allergies or intolerances
- Swallowing/feeding and digestive disorders
- Sports medicine nutrition
- Autism, cystic fibrosis and more...
Looking for help on these topics? Learn more
Find A Doctor
Tap into the World class pediatric experts in a variety of specialty areas at Children’s Hospital Colorado for anything from the top of their heads, to the tips of their toes. To find the right doctor for you, please visit their website to find the top ranked team of experts.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE