The newest info on Healthy Habits
Life is chaotic, how can you help form the best habits in today’s youth? From nutrition and hydration to the amount of sleep and stress, life is about balance. Plus, technology has changed the game. How much screen time it too much screen time and how do screen time habits influence lifestyle and development? Forming healthy habits can start at a young age, and as adults, you can lead by example. Get the answers and explore additional resources for all “Healthy Habits.”
"Students who are physically active tend to have better grades, school attendance, cognitive performance, and classroom behaviors"
LIFETIME BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE CHILDREN
- 1/10 as likely to be obese
- Up to 40% higher test scores
- Less smoking & drug use
- 15% more likely to go to college
- Lower levels of depression & self-derogation
- Higher self-esteem
- 7-8% higher annual earnings
- Lower health costs
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer & diabetes
Source: The Aspen Institute Project Play
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, cereal and dried fruit
- Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter
- Low-fat fruited yogurt or plain/vanilla low-fat yogurt with fruit
- Blended smoothie with frozen berries, low-fat milk and yogurt
- Air-popped or fresh-popped popcorn
- Pretzels, vegetables or whole wheat pita wedges and hummus
- Tbsp of peanut butter on an ½ English muffin with sliced banana
- Mini cinnamon raisin bagel spread with nut butter
HEALTHY HABITS GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Calcium and Vitamin D Deficiency: What You Need to Know
Remember the ads several years ago that had famous athletes drinking milk and were left with the famous milk mustache? At the time, it might have seemed silly that an...
What to Eat When You’re on the Road
Traveling with your child’s sports team for summer tournaments is exciting, but it can also be disruptive to your family’s normal eating habits and routines, which in turn can affect...
Sports Dehydration Safety Tips
The summer heat is hard to beat! It is essential to stay hydrated on a daily basis, but especially in the summer and even more so when your spending extended...
How to Eat Before a Competition
When it comes to competition days, what your young athlete eats can matter just as much as the other preparations they take to be successful. High-fat content meals, like the...
How to Keep Your Kids Calm with Mindful Eating
During stressful times, it’s common to eat salty, sweet or high-fat foods. Unfortunately, these comfort foods can often make stress and anxiety worse. By practicing mindful eating, you can calm...
How to Help Your Child Develop Social Skills
Social skills. Social intelligence. Emotional intelligence. As a parent you can get lost in buzz words that relate to your kids' relationships with others. Whatever you call it, parents just...
How the Pandemic Changed Children’s Relationships With Social Media
Jenna Glover, PhD, talks about a CU School of Medicine study on teenagers and technology. It's been almost two years since our kids were pulled from the classroom abruptly and...
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage and Kale
The CU Anschutz Culinary Medicine team has a recipe for Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage and Kale that is perfect for chilly evenings at home. Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage...
17 Ways to Stay Active During the Holidays
Don't let the holiday season weigh you down this year. We've got tips for staying active, even though we all want to cozy up on the couch with a holiday...
- Call 720-777-0123 to receive free health care advice from Children's Hospital Colorado registered nurses
- Live person will answer 24/7
- Information available for over 200 pediatric topics and community resources
- Find a physician in your area
- Poor / excessive weight gain
- Food allergies or intolerances
- Swallowing/feeding and digestive disorders
- Sports medicine nutrition
- Autism, cystic fibrosis and more...
Looking for help on these topics? Learn more
How can you control your child's screentime use? Try these apps.
- Circle with Disney
- Screentime on iPhones
Find A Doctor
Tap into the World class pediatric experts in a variety of specialty areas at Children’s Hospital Colorado for anything from the top of their heads, to the tips of their toes. To find the right doctor for you, please visit their website to find the top ranked team of experts.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE