The newest info on Healthy Habits
Life is chaotic, how can you help form the best habits in today’s youth? From nutrition and hydration to the amount of sleep and stress, life is about balance. Plus, technology has changed the game. How much screen time it too much screen time and how do screen time habits influence lifestyle and development? Forming healthy habits can start at a young age, and as adults, you can lead by example. Get the answers and explore additional resources for all “Healthy Habits.”
LIFETIME BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE CHILDREN
- 1/10 as likely to be obese
- Up to 40% higher test scores
- Less smoking & drug use
- 15% more likely to go to college
- Lower levels of depression & self-derogation
- Higher self-esteem
- 7-8% higher annual earnings
- Lower health costs
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer & diabetes
Source: The Aspen Institute Project Play
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, cereal and dried fruit
- Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter
- Low-fat fruited yogurt or plain/vanilla low-fat yogurt with fruit
- Blended smoothie with frozen berries, low-fat milk and yogurt
- Air-popped or fresh-popped popcorn
- Pretzels, vegetables or whole wheat pita wedges and hummus
- Tbsp of peanut butter on an ½ English muffin with sliced banana
- Mini cinnamon raisin bagel spread with nut butter
HEALTHY HABITS GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
The advice and products available to help fuel young athletes for sport are more abundant than ever before, and it’s getting harder to know what actually works. Here, pediatric sports dietitians Lauren...
As an athlete, you have goals that you are trying to achieve. But did you know that what you put into your body can help you achieve those goals sooner?...
As summer winds down and school is on the horizon, two issues weigh heavily on parents’ minds: What will education look like this fall, and what’s best for my child...
You don’t have to find extra time. You don’t even have to switch up your family’s daily schedule. All you need is the time you have and a desire to...
Nobody likes a sunburn, and at 5280 feet, the sun affects you more than you know. The good news is, you can protect yourself and your children by using sunscreen....
We are now months into the coronavirus pandemic and it's safe to say we all hoped or believed that we would be inching back to "normal." Instead, we are still...
Television advertisements will tell you that you need Gatorade and Powerade to recover after a workout. If you want to replenish the electrolytes in your body you need one of...
"Eat your vegetables." - Every mom, ever. Great advice for any athlete, but can you get all of your required nutrients from vegetables alone? What nutrients are important for vegetarians?...
Even though sports are on hold right now, athletes should still focus on high performance diets so they're ready to resume playing when restrictions are lifted. What does that look...
- Call 720-777-0123 to receive free health care advice from Children's Hospital Colorado registered nurses
- Live person will answer 24/7
- Information available for over 200 pediatric topics and community resources
- Find a physician in your area
- Poor / excessive weight gain
- Food allergies or intolerances
- Swallowing/feeding and digestive disorders
- Sports medicine nutrition
- Autism, cystic fibrosis and more...
Looking for help on these topics? Learn more
Find A Doctor
Tap into the World class pediatric experts in a variety of specialty areas at Children’s Hospital Colorado for anything from the top of their heads, to the tips of their toes. To find the right doctor for you, please visit their website to find the top ranked team of experts.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE