The newest info on Sports Performance
Chances are if you are involved in Gold Crown Foundation, your child loves playing sports. But when do youth sports cross the line of becoming too much? How do athletes train effectively? What’s the difference between pushing them to compete at the next level vs. pushing them to burn out at a young age? The health of your child should always be a priority, even when it comes to performing. Get your “Sports Performance” guide below.
SIGNS OF CONCUSSION
- A headache that gets worse or is severe
- Confusion, extreme sleepiness or trouble waking up
- Vomiting repeatedly
- Trouble walking or talking
- Any numbness, weakness or tingling in arms or legs
- A seizure or convulsion (arms or legs stiffen or shake uncontrollably)
- Any sudden change in thinking or behavior
HOW TO AVOID BURNOUT
- Periodization: a process of varying the training stimulus to promote long term fitness gains
- Cross-training by varying workouts
- Focus on proper sport technique
- Slow progression and avoid rapid increase in workload or intensity
- Proper injury treatment and rehabilitation
- Emphasis on sports as tools for fun(!), sportsmanship, fitness, skill acquisition, safety, or education
SPORTS PERFORMANCE GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
As witnessed across the nation during Monday Night Football, CPR saves lives. The quick actions of the Buffalo Bills Athletic Training Staff were heroic in resuscitating Damar Hamlin on the...
Some kids might be pumped. Others might have anxiety. To get the most from each player, parents and coaches need to know their personalities — but there are a few...
The severity of concussions are not a new topic when it come to sports. However, this NFL season, they are once again being brought to the center of attention. We...
Receiving the proper treatment for a concussion is particularly crucial for young athletes. Their brains are still developing and putting them back on the court or field before they are...
The summer heat is hard to beat! It is essential to stay hydrated on a daily basis, but especially in the summer and even more so when your spending extended...
When it comes to competition days, what your young athlete eats can matter just as much as the other preparations they take to be successful. High-fat content meals, like the...
You've probably seen stories about sport specialization in the news with professional athletes advocating against it. Ask Drew Brees and Tony Gonzalez how they feel. Ask any Division I college coach...
Have you had the chance to meet our Children's Hospital Colorado Athletic Trainers yet? JoJo and Evan are present during Gold Crown events. Next time you're at the Gold Crown...
When your kid has a sports injury, the healing process is not just physical, but also mental. From setting recovery goals to emotionally dealing with things like season-ending injuries, it...
- Have questions about a possible concussion?
- Call Children's Hospital Colorado at 720-777-2806
- Have a consultation first, then make an appointment if needed
SPORTS MEDICINE CENTER
- 35 Certified Athletic Trainers on staff
- Obtained at least a Bachelor's degree and passed the Board of Certification exam
- Work in physician clinics, high schools, sports clubs AND the Gold Crown Field House
Did you know that, when available, there is a Certified Athletic Trainer at Gold Crown Foundation events? The training room is located next to Court 5, just look for the green posts! Please contact JoJo with any questions, 303-233-6776, ext. 239, or stop by and say hi next time you're at the Gold Crown Field House. Learn more about your CHCO Athletic Trainers.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE