The newest info on Healthy Habits
Life is chaotic, how can you help form the best habits in today’s youth? From nutrition and hydration to the amount of sleep and stress, life is about balance. Plus, technology has changed the game. How much screen time it too much screen time and how do screen time habits influence lifestyle and development? Forming healthy habits can start at a young age, and as adults, you can lead by example. Get the answers and explore additional resources for all “Healthy Habits.”
"Students who are physically active tend to have better grades, school attendance, cognitive performance, and classroom behaviors"
LIFETIME BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE CHILDREN
- 1/10 as likely to be obese
- Up to 40% higher test scores
- Less smoking & drug use
- 15% more likely to go to college
- Lower levels of depression & self-derogation
- Higher self-esteem
- 7-8% higher annual earnings
- Lower health costs
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer & diabetes
Source: The Aspen Institute Project Play
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, cereal and dried fruit
- Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter
- Low-fat fruited yogurt or plain/vanilla low-fat yogurt with fruit
- Blended smoothie with frozen berries, low-fat milk and yogurt
- Air-popped or fresh-popped popcorn
- Pretzels, vegetables or whole wheat pita wedges and hummus
- Tbsp of peanut butter on an ½ English muffin with sliced banana
- Mini cinnamon raisin bagel spread with nut butter
HEALTHY HABITS GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Creating Normalcy for Kids During the Coronavirus Pandemic
We are now months into the coronavirus pandemic and it's safe to say we all hoped or believed that we would be inching back to "normal." Instead, we are still...
10 Benefits of Drinking Chocolate Milk for Nutrition Recovery
Television advertisements will tell you that you need Gatorade and Powerade to recover after a workout. If you want to replenish the electrolytes in your body you need one of...
Is a Vegetarian Diet OK for Young Athletes?
"Eat your vegetables." - Every mom, ever. Great advice for any athlete, but can you get all of your required nutrients from vegetables alone? What nutrients are important for vegetarians?...
Parents’ Top Questions About the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
This page was updated on April 10, 2020. Due to the shifting nature of the coronavirus pandemic, recommendations can change quickly. Please follow all rules and guidelines set by state...
There are still a lot of unknowns surrounding the coronavirus, but questions continue to mount. Our partners at Children's Hospital Colorado have put together a comprehensive list of questions they...
Healthy Phone Use Tips For Teens, Parents, Teachers
Teens are on their phones a lot. That's nothing new, but how how much is too much? Would regulating phone use in teens help with some of their stress? These...
How To Be a Positive Parent of a Young Athlete
How to be a positive parent seems like an easy question to answer, right? We're just weeks away from the start of our 26th competitive basketball season and we know...
How playing sports benefits your body…and your brain
Playing sports has many positive effects. That's common knowledge. Below, TED-Ed takes a look at the different health benefits of playing sports, including mental health. The victory of the underdog....
Yoga Therapy for Kids
More and more adults are realizing the therapeutic benefits of yoga, like increased flexibility and balance, increased muscle strength and tone, better cardiovascular and circulatory health, etc. And those are...
- Call 720-777-0123 to receive free health care advice from Children's Hospital Colorado registered nurses
- Live person will answer 24/7
- Information available for over 200 pediatric topics and community resources
- Find a physician in your area
- Poor / excessive weight gain
- Food allergies or intolerances
- Swallowing/feeding and digestive disorders
- Sports medicine nutrition
- Autism, cystic fibrosis and more...
Looking for help on these topics? Learn more
How can you control your child's screentime use? Try these apps.
- Circle with Disney
- Screentime on iPhones
Find A Doctor
Tap into the World class pediatric experts in a variety of specialty areas at Children’s Hospital Colorado for anything from the top of their heads, to the tips of their toes. To find the right doctor for you, please visit their website to find the top ranked team of experts.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE