The newest info on Healthy Habits
Life is chaotic, how can you help form the best habits in today’s youth? From nutrition and hydration to the amount of sleep and stress, life is about balance. Plus, technology has changed the game. How much screen time it too much screen time and how do screen time habits influence lifestyle and development? Forming healthy habits can start at a young age, and as adults, you can lead by example. Get the answers and explore additional resources for all “Healthy Habits.”
"Students who are physically active tend to have better grades, school attendance, cognitive performance, and classroom behaviors"
LIFETIME BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE CHILDREN
- 1/10 as likely to be obese
- Up to 40% higher test scores
- Less smoking & drug use
- 15% more likely to go to college
- Lower levels of depression & self-derogation
- Higher self-esteem
- 7-8% higher annual earnings
- Lower health costs
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer & diabetes
Source: The Aspen Institute Project Play
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, cereal and dried fruit
- Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter
- Low-fat fruited yogurt or plain/vanilla low-fat yogurt with fruit
- Blended smoothie with frozen berries, low-fat milk and yogurt
- Air-popped or fresh-popped popcorn
- Pretzels, vegetables or whole wheat pita wedges and hummus
- Tbsp of peanut butter on an ½ English muffin with sliced banana
- Mini cinnamon raisin bagel spread with nut butter
HEALTHY HABITS GUIDE BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Energy Drinks: Do You Really Want to “Unleash the Beast?”
Can you name some of the most popular brands of energy drinks off the top of your head? Red Bull, Monster, Rockstar, Nos, Starbucks, etc. Even Coca-Cola announced this week...
The Truth About Teens and Vaping
Turn on the news tonight or tomorrow and you'll undoubtedly see a story about vaping and teenagers. It's the hottest topic across the nation right now and at least 6*...
When Your Child Is the Bully
October is Bullying Prevention Month and there are a lot of resources available online (see: Bullying 101 and Prevention Tips) about the topic, but there are few resources available for...
Growing Up Plugged In
No matter where you are the chances of seeing someone on their phone are pretty high these days, and it's not just kids. Adults are just as guilty of being...
Packing a Healthy Lunch That Isn’t Boring
School lunches have been a hot topic recently. Schools are making a more conscious effort to include healthy options for students while also teaching students the importance of a healthy,...
Predators Targeting Kids in Video Game Chatrooms
We know video games are popular among teens, which online predators easy access to teens. The FBI is investigating ways to prevent what it calls sextortion, when an adult coerces...
Why are vaping-related illnesses on the rise?
You've seen the news stories lately. Teens are being hospitalized for vaping-related illnesses, mostly in their lungs. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revealed that 153 cases of severe...
How To Protect Your Kids Online
It's no small task to keep kids safe in today's world. The threat of online predators looms daily and teenagers don't always know when someone they meet online is a...
One Teen’s Bulimia…It Happens to Athletes, Too
Eating disorders are fairly common among high school athletes, especially females. Approximately 41% of female athletes in high school reported disordered eating (NEDA). The importance of healthy nutrition is emphasized...
- Call 720-777-0123 to receive free health care advice from Children's Hospital Colorado registered nurses
- Live person will answer 24/7
- Information available for over 200 pediatric topics and community resources
- Find a physician in your area
- Poor / excessive weight gain
- Food allergies or intolerances
- Swallowing/feeding and digestive disorders
- Sports medicine nutrition
- Autism, cystic fibrosis and more...
Looking for help on these topics? Learn more
How can you control your child's screentime use? Try these apps.
- Circle with Disney
- Screentime on iPhones
Find A Doctor
Tap into the World class pediatric experts in a variety of specialty areas at Children’s Hospital Colorado for anything from the top of their heads, to the tips of their toes. To find the right doctor for you, please visit their website to find the top ranked team of experts.
PREPARING KIDS FOR THE GAME OF LIFE